David Swartley COVID Update #16
TO: Residents and Staff
FROM: David Swartley, President/CEO
DATE: June 5, 2020
RE: Coronavirus (COVID-19) – Update #16
Since my last update, there have been no residents and no employees tested as positive for COVID-19.
Today’s update will reiterate some information already shared regarding Lancaster County moving to the Yellow Zone. The move to “Yellow” brings many questions and concerns from our residents and the broader community. As our country mourns the tragic event in Minnesota and the ensuing protests, it creates a backdrop of high anxiety for all of us.
Yesterday, the Lancaster County Chamber of Commerce released some guidance for business’ reopening. One document was entitled, “De-escalation tips for managing disruptive behaviors.” The Chamber, in their wisdom, realizes that with tensions high, businesses may have new and unique situations to manage as they reopen. The one point emphasized, “Focus on the Future.” I think that should be our mantra here at Moravian Manor Communities. Not every decision administration makes (in conjunction with the COVID-19 Task Force) seems 100% logical. Weighing the risk of every decision truly becomes a balancing act. With this preamble, I share some of the changes that will occur today:
- Social distancing and mask requirements do not change.
- Handwashing and hygiene are as important as ever. Please do not stop now!
- Use of Woodshop, Train Room, Ceramic Room, and Gardening is permitted. As these areas open, social distancing guidelines remain.
- We are encouraging any groups to have a maximum of 10 individuals if possible (Commonwealth Guidance is a maximum of 25).
- The library and salons will remain closed at this point. Both areas are in our care area footprint, which remains restricted.
- The Owl’s Nest will begin offering outdoor dining. Reservations are required.
- If any visitor is sick, PLEASE tell them to stay away! Please ask your visitors if they have been recently exposed to someone with COVID-19. If so, ask them to delay their visit.
- Housekeeping services and non-essential maintenance orders have resumed service. Housekeeping services are only permitted using Moravian Manor Communities personnel.
- If a Moravian Manor Communities employee (or others) are in your home, please social distance and wear a mask.
- Remember, your most significant risk moving forward is congregating in groups, in an enclosed area without wearing masks.
- Grocery shopping (courtesy service) will be discontinued. Staff who have been completing these orders will be transitioning back to their original duties.
- Online grocery ordering (for pickup) can be done very reasonably. Please see Jennifer Shutt if you would like more information.
- Skilled nursing, Assisted Living, and Personal Care residents will have access to scheduled window visits. These family visit need to be scheduled through Social Services. Visits will occur in specific areas to assure social distancing. Our care areas are closed; we do not permit unscheduled family visits outside resident windows.
- The Lititz recCenter will be offering outdoor fitness classes Monday through Saturday from June 8 through July 3 for a modest fee (for members).
- Marketing will begin to show empty units to members on the Wait List. They will adhere to social distancing and PPE Guidelines.
As the county begins to open up around us, we are concerned about our residents. In an attempt to keep our residents safe, we will be mandating COVID-19 testing for our employees (and care residents). Our goal is to complete twenty percent of our employees (in the care areas) every week. We will expand the twenty percent if we have positive test results. Testing is a significant undertaking; I want to give kudos to our staff for getting this underway.
I suspect, like myself, you are more than ready to get out of your house and be active. While the move to the Yellow Phase enables more activity, please don’t jeopardize your success by becoming careless!
Thomas Edison said, “Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.”
Don’t give up! Thank you again for your support of our excellent team and of each other. I am proud to be part of Moravian Manor Communities.