David Swartley COVID Update #28
From: David Swartley, President/CEO
Date: November 3, 2020
RE: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update #28
Happy Election Day! I am sure that most of us concur that it is time to have the election “over.” The fact that Pennsylvania is a “swing state” certainly has put an added burden on all of us. Having the pandemic as a constant cloud over us is also emotionally wearing. Please find effective ways to provide for self-care.
I am writing to give you an update regarding the COVID-19 virus. As I shared with you last week, it appears the fall surge is upon us. I share some of our most recent testing data below:
• Two weeks ago, four employees tested positive. As directed by the Pennsylvania Department of Health (DOH) and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC), team members must self-quarantine for up to 14 days.
• One week ago, three additional employees tested positive. Again, team members must self-quarantine for up to 14 days.
• On Sunday, November 1, a resident on Herrnhut Personal Care tested positive for COVID-19. At the time of this writing, the resident is asymptomatic.
• On Sunday, November 1, we learned of a couple residential living residents on the Founders Campus tested positive for COVID-19.
• Our testing from October 29 and October 30 yielded no further positive tests from residents or employees. (great news!)
Reading the above data points out that we need to maintain and enhance our vigilance. Regrettably, the activity has resulted in another pause in our visitation. The increased viral activity also means that we are universally testing all employees (and most residents) until we have two weeks of no positives. Management of the pandemic is an emotional strain for all residents, staff, and family members. At our COVID-19 Task Force meeting on Monday, November 2, we also decided to announce the following guidelines to stop any further spread.
• Garden Court Dining will only be available to our Garden Court Apartment residents. Please make use of our take-out service.
• Any activity groups that meet in the Garden Court area or the Woods Apartment building are restricted from meeting for an initial period of two weeks.
• Maintenance work orders will revert to essential only for the next two weeks.
• The Beauty Salon services for RL are on hold for the next two weeks.
• PLEASE PUT ON A MASK if the staff is coming to work in your residence. We have instructed our team members not to enter your home if you are not wearing a mask.
As the pandemic continues, it becomes even more challenging to comply with restrictive guidelines. As we approach the holidays, I would encourage you to plan your events very carefully. Think through what the days will look like for you. Make any changes you can to assist in stopping the spread. I understand and empathize that these decisions can and will be excruciating.
Nevertheless, have these conversations with your family and friends today! It is your simple actions that will keep both you and your loved ones safe. Wash your hands, wear a mask, and social distance. Social distancing will be increasingly difficult with the arrival of the holidays and cold weather. Thank you for doing your part to help keep Moravian Manor Communities a safe place to live and work.
For those of you seeking additional information, continuous updates are available at the following websites:
• Pennsylvania Department of Health: www.health.pa.gov
• Center for Disease Control: www.cdc.gov