Since mid-August, the Owl’s Nest Restaurant is closed on Saturdays until further notice. It will remain closed on Sundays as well.
Autumn Inspired Comfort Food Dishes
With cooler temps on the way, MMC chefs have shared two ultimate seasonal comfort food recipes sure to warm your soul on a chilly autumn night.
Split Pea Soup
Recipe from Chef Ed Koprowicz
2 ½ cups green split peas
3 ½ diced Applewood bacon
1 cup diced Vidalia onion
1 cup diced leeks
1 cup diced carrots
2 qt. chicken stock
2 oz. thyme
6 bay leaves
- Soak peas overnight in water.
- Saute Applewood bacon at low heat until rendered down. Add carrot, onions, leeks and cook until tender.
- Add chicken stock, thyme, bay leaves and peas.
- Simmer at low heat till peas are soft, approximately 45 minutes.
“Sweet & Heat” Fall Chicken Breast
Recipe from Chef Terry Wilson
2 Tbsp. olive oil, separated
1 ½ Tbsp. yellow onion, diced
1 large Asian pear or honeycrisp apple, peeled,
cored, and diced ¼”
3 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 ½ Tbsp. chopped pecans
1/8 tsp. Cayenne pepper
(can be adjusted to suit your tastes)
¼ tsp. kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- In a medium saucepan, heat 1 Tbsp. of olive oil over medium heat. Saute the yellow onion until soft, but do not brown. Once soft, add the Asian pear or apple, the brown sugar, and the vinegar. Bring to a boil, and reduce the heat to simmer for 4-5 minutes. Then, add the chopped pecans and simmer for another 1-2 minutes.
- Set the mixture to the side. It can be held hot, or allow to cool to room temperature while you prepare the chicken.
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees F.
- Season the chicken breasts with the Cayenne pepper, kosher salt, and black pepper.
- In a medium-large non-stick sauté pan, heat 1 Tbsp. of olive oil over medium-high heat. When hot, gently place the chicken breasts in the pan. Sear the chicken on both sides.
- Once the chicken has been seared, place in a small baking pan and place in the oven until the chicken reaches at least 165 F internal temperature.
- To serve, place 1 chicken breast on a serving plate, and top with the Asian pear/apple & pecan chutney. I recommend serving it with sautéed spinach and rice pilaf.